In my post yesterday, I mentioned that I would try to come up with some suggestions on what to do with all of those magazines that you might get for free (or not), but feel you are ready to part with. Instead of tossing them in the garbage, or even a recycling bin, here are some ideas (in no particular order) to help you give your magazines a second, or perhaps even a third life.
1. Children’s collages or projects. Just let them chop away with scissors, and they’ll be happy for hours. Some ideas might include “looking for specific foods that fit certain geometric shapes”, “looking for various animals”, etc.
2. Recipe/decorating/organizing/travel binder of ideas. If you feel ready to get rid of a certain magazine, but want to save a couple of pages for future inspiration, why not start an organized binder of ideas for future use? Create sections in your binder (like “appetizers”, or “main dishes” for a recipe binder, or “bathroom ideas”, “living room decor” for a decorating binder, etc.) You can also save photos of beautiful islands and resorts from magazines like “Island”, “Vacations”, etc. for future vacation planning inspiration.
3. Wrapping paper. Yes, just tear out colorful pages and use them to wrap your gifts. Clever and free!
4. Freecycle or donate to doctor’s offices, schools, community centers, various groups, etc. There are many organizations and groups that could give a second life to your used magazines. Just don’t forget to scratch off or cover up your name and address on them.
5. Pass on to relatives or whoever might be interested in those magazines. Make sure that they want them first, or if they are on a magazine-clean-out streak of their own 🙂
6. Shred them to use as filler paper when you need to send packages. Or even simply crumple up the pages for the same purpose.
7. Decoupage to make cool coasters, wall art, or whatever your mind comes up with. There are many ideas that you can find online for decoupaging projects.
8. Create a neighborhood magazine swap.
9. Cut out your favorite pictures of beautiful places/things to use in personalizing your scrapbook journal. You can see some ideas of the scrapbook journals (in case you are wondering what I am talking about) here, here, or here.
10. Inexpensive wall art. Just frame beautiful photos of panoramas or things that inspire you and hang on the wall. You can also use old wall calendar pages that you really like for that.
What suggestions for re-using old magazines do you have? Please share with us in the comments.